View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #16
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I guess it depends if he told his bosses, "Don't worry, by the beginning of the 2017-2018 season we'll be in a position to compete through puck possession". Assuming he's not a complete moron and didn't make that sort of prediction, then he should probably be judged on whether the trades, signings and draft work under his tenure - that is, his actual record as a GM - are defensible or not.

I mean, I get that it's a results-based league, that people only really care about wins at the end of the day and rightly so, and no one expected them to have results that are this bad. But did anyone have the Coyotes penciled in as a playoff team? If it's a rebuilding year, 2-15-3 isn't really any worse than, say, 7-10-3. You're not going anywhere either way, and at least the former yields better lottery odds.
The difference between 7-10-3 and 2-15-3 is that one team is at least somewhat competitive and the other so bad that there's no real reason for even hardcore fans to attend games. Technically they will be in the lottery with a good chance of first overall with either record but the optics are pretty bad as far as the business of selling tickets go.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote