View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #116
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Though it should not have been penalized, I understand why the officials did throw the flag.

Things happen so fast in real time and with this hit it looked like it was a hit to the head, which it was, but not because of what Adeleke did or didn't do. He played it exactly the way you want, go in with your shoulder to the chest...unfortunately Roosevelt ducked his head at the last possible second which led to his being knocked out before he even hit the ground. This stuff is going to happen in contact sports for as long as they are ever played. Either be OK with it or stop watching it. It will always have this element until they start playing flag football instead of tackle, or they outlaw any contact in hockey.

Also reading this thread the day after is hilarious. Messam is no longer a 2 down back apparently, yet he leads the entire CFL in rushing yards and rushing TD's. Dave Dickenson is a terrible play caller, yet as a HC he is 26-3-2. Something there tells me that maybe he knows pretty well what he is doing?

I guess when a team has only lost 3 of their last 31 regular season games, some people have to find something to bitch about?
I think you should look at Messam's stats a little closer. He may lead the league in rushing but that is because Calgary is essentially the only team in the league that still actively uses a running game. He has anywhere from 40-65 more carries than any other of the top 5 running backs in the league (178 carries). Yeah he gets the TD, No complaints there, but that's why he's still in the league. He's in the league for Short yardage situations which is he still very good at. That said, he's a lot slower than he used to be, goes down a lot easier, fumbles quite a bit (can't find the stat on CFL website but I'd bet he's up there for RBs), and seems to be getting frustrated with this as he's now taking a lot of dumb penalties. I don't have any problems with Messam really, just how Dickenson is using him which is out of Messam's control.

Dave Dickenson coach is a good young coach that we are lucky to have, but his play calling is quite questionable at times and he has a lot to
Learn still. For example, it will be 2nd and 1 and he'll call a pass quite frequently, but when it's 2nd and 8 he'll run Messam for some reason. We can Sugarcoat it all we want, but his decision on goal line last year in OT against Ottawa cost us th Grey Cup. It will come with time, but there are still some warts.

I'm to the point where I don't even care about this team's regular season record. They need to win games when it matters. Beating up on garbage like Toronto and Hamilton doesn't cut it.

Honest question. Do you actually think our team's record would be much different over the last couple years without Dickenson? I don't really.
The horses Huff gives him makes it pretty easy to be setup for success. He's definitely a good coach on the rise, but you give this roster to most coaches in the league not named Kavis Reed and they would have a similar record.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 09-28-2017 at 01:52 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post: