View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #601
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Been wanting to contribute to this thread for awhile, but I've got three small kids that have been keeping me away from the water. Anyways, I managed to get out yesterday and put in a long day. Got up early enough to catch the sunrise at the top of the pass heading to the Trunk Road:

The dusting of snow was a nice touch, but it was -7C when I got to my favourite spot at 8:00! The first couple hours were darn cold, and the fish weren't co-operating, but by noon I was getting some good action:

Eventually I moved on to some smaller creeks. I've been on a bit of a quest to find an ideal spot to take my kids fishing (the youngest is 3). I have three criteria: lots of little fish so success is basically guaranteed, decent access (not a huge hike, limited wading), and a creek small enough that if a kid fell in it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think I found a pretty good option, and spent a few hours walking the creek looking for holes, and tossing the odd fly with decent success.

Also, in one hole I saw this weird black trout. Anyone know what it could be? I got a decent shot by sticking my camera under water. It doesn't look like any bull or cutthroat trout I've ever seen. In this image there are both cutthroat and one bull, and this black fish stuck out like a sore thumb. If anyone wants the high resolution image, send me a PM.

Last edited by Slanter; 09-25-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post: