View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #2025
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
What's impressive is hearing Shapovalov worked hard on his volleys after Montreal and watching him execute effectively at the net. In like 2 weeks he's solidified that aspect, still not a huge strength but he's improved.

Meanwhile Raonic has had a poor backhand since his debut and never seems to address it.

Couple key points in the third set. Shapovalov hits a big serve and is in control of the point. After a couple rallies Tsonga hits a nice defensive shot to his backhand corner and you can tell he wants to hit the forehand bomb, but he flips and hits that sexy backhand to keep the pressure on and Tsonga puts it into the net.

Raonic would run around to his forehand taking him off the court, meaning he's either got to hit a difficult winner or be woefully out of position. That or his slice giving Tsonga the upper hand in the rally.

A small but important distinction that will serve Shapovalov very well. Being able to dictate points from either side.
I honestly don't see the point in comparing these two as they are so drastically different from one another. Raonic has limitations due to his size and natural ability, but I don't think anyone can fairly question his will to improve and commitment to training. I don't imagine you are very familiar with Raonic as he was a complete gong show his first few years on tour.

He's maximized just about every ounce that he can out of his game since he came onto the pro tour. His backhand is 100 times better than it was 5 years ago and is quite honestly becoming a weapon when he's able to get set. He has also developed an admiral net game due to sheer will to improve his movement and overall fitness.

If Denis has half the work ethic Milos does, he will find himself in a very opportune position on tour in the next year or two.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 08-31-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post: