View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #815
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
As I said, that Antifa and Nazis are even remotely categorically similar, to the point that it would be logical to mention them both in the same breath:

Comments like these are, at the most generous interpretation, sort of accidentally ignorant sounding and flippant. At the worst interpretation, they're Nazi apologists. That's area nobody in their right mind wants to tread close to and I don't believe anyone of these posts intentionally does that, but the main issue is that this distinction is left to interpretation.

Antifa = morally right intentions that anyone in a modern liberal society can relate to (racism, bigotry, hate = bad) with methods few in that same society can relate to or morally condone (violence, suppression of free speech)

Nazi = morally wrong intentions and methodology that literally no even debatably good person in their right mind can relate to.

There's no slippery slope here.
Ok that is what I thought. I think you need A fair amount of creative license to say that the four people you quoted think nazis and antifa are similar. Or that many people in the general public do. Rest assured. Nazis are worse.

When people start being creative with bending comments to suit an argument I can usually guess at why they are doing that, but harder in a chat to understand why you are doing that. So I don't know really what else to say but I'll try.

To say you don't agree with either side is not to say they are the same. Do people need to start every paragraph with that?

And to say there never such aging as slippery slopes is to say you can't look past the end of your nose. It's always important to think through longer term affects of your actions. What I think you just simply don't appreciate is that some people look at longer term cause and affect of rationalizing violence, being extremely important. And much more important than discussing if antifa is 17% or 562% better than nazis.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote