View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #1356
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Just did a quick check on his split stats last season and I found something very intriguing.

Mike Smith in the first half of the season (2016) had a .920 sv%
Mike Smith in the last half of the season (2017) had a .910 sv%

My hypothesis is that Arizona's season was still competitive and the games still had meaning, the team played better in front of him and he in turn performed at an elite level. Whereas in the last half of the season, his team gave up on the season and he in turn struggled as scoring chances and shots allowed probably ballooned in the process.

If that is the case I could see Mike Smith performing at a high level all throughout the season with a better team and motivation that he hasn't seen in years. If he can deliver a .920 sv% with the Coyotes defense, then who knows, he might be even better with our defense core.
If you actually divide his season in half:
In the first half of the season (28 games up to Jan 21) Mike Smith had a .915 sv%
In the second half of the season (27 games up to Apr 8) Mike Smith had a .913 sv%

As for:

Quote:
My hypothesis is that Arizona's season was still competitive and the games still had meaning, the team played better in front of him and he in turn performed at an elite level. Whereas in the last half of the season, his team gave up on the season and he in turn struggled as scoring chances and shots allowed probably ballooned in the process.
Up to Jan 21, the team was 14-26-6 (while Smith was healthy, 9-17-5). After that, they were 16-16-4. Hardly a team giving up.

Last edited by Mike F; 08-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote