View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #78
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few thoughts.
- I think there is a difference between the window to contend and the window to win. Right now, I expect the team to be maturing to a point where they can make the playoffs, compete for a division, and win some rounds. If they had everything fall their way they could in theory win a cup in the next 1-2 years but I see that as doubtful. But it happens (e.g. Canes win)
- Their window to win it all opens when indeed they get elite level goaltending. And I think that happens likely from Gillies or Parsons, or if their is clarity that neither can deliver that, they will spend the required price to get it. Right now the acquisition price is too severe for where the team is
- In the meantime, given the high price to get elite goaltending, BT took a valid approach which is to ensure the D playing in front of average goaltending has a chance to be elite. I find this to be a fair and creative approach.

We are all aware that the team has some holes. But most teams in the NHL do. Cups come when either everything goes a team's way, players step up beyond expectations, or their is a very short time frame where all pieces are in place.

But when I look across the capped NHL, I see 90% of the teams having 1 or 2 material weaknesses.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: