View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 AM   #230
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I like the optimism, but Bennett is neither a strong two-way center or a 70 point one. Hell, he's not even a center. He could be, sure, I guess, but right now he's coming off a 26 point season.

Sure, if he believes in himself it might be best to take a two-year bridge contract and I wouldn't blame him. I also wouldn't blame Flames management if they didn't want to risk a huge contract on such an unproven commodity, so I do believe bridge makes most sense. But Bennett turning down a long-term ~30-40M type of contract could easily end up being the biggest mistake of his life even if he ends up being a respectable 50 point player. Forget about busting or injuries.

There's also the fact that a long-term contract in that ~7 year range would allow him to enter unrestricted free agency in his prime. He would be in the best scenario for a huge contract at that point, so a long-term contract wouldn't even be betting against himself. It would provide security for now, allow the Flames to bring in better players to surround him, and allow him to enter UFA in an absolute fantastic position as a 28 year old, prime for that actual huge contract if he does end up hitting the peak you are suggestion.
Couldn't have said this better. Also didn't want to type that much

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote