View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #228
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
if Bennett does break out and get at least one 70 point season, then he'd be in line to make 7 million a year. or more.
if he signed for 5 per year, he'd lose out on a fair bit of cash.

gaudreau got 6.75 with no leverage. a strong two way centre who can get 70 points the way contracts are going? he has some serious earning potential that he'd be silly to give up.
What if he doesn't reach his potential or gets severely injured and never has a 70 point season? He would have given up over 30 million dollars. Is the risk worth the reward? I think a long term deal makes the most sense for both sides, the only issue is the aav . A 7-8 year deal worth around 4.5M would be fair. You can massage the term and the aav but I think this is a reasonable ballpark. It's win win. The team gets long term cost certainty while taking on the risk that Bennett doesn't reach his potential and Bennett gets set for life while mitigating the risk of injury or not reaching his potential. Using the slow start to his career to lower his cap hit long term is good business in a cap system. It could be called a front diving contract. Wasting two cheap years on a bridge deal when they don't need the cap space and forgoing the benefit of using them to drive his cap hit down long term makes no sense to me. If the flames BELIEVE IN BENNETT, sign him long term now. It's likely Tkachuk will command a MASSIVE contract in two years. Getting Bennett locked up cheap will help to offset Tkachuk's price.

Last edited by 3rd Degree; 07-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
3rd Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post: