Thread: [Signing] Canadiens sign Streit
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Weber being four years older than Subban is a future concern. I grant that down the road he will decline sooner than Subban will. I never liked the trade.

Is it a concern that Weber is suddenly going to start sucking this year? No. He's 31 today. Its not something that should be a concern for this year.

The wing depth.... I'd call Right Wing (Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw) a little better than mediocre.

Yes Centre is a huge problem. As I said, thats the difference between them being a 7-12 team in the NHL, and a true contender.

They really have to hope that Galchenyuk becomes that Centre... cause even with a ton of cap space, Bergevin has been unable to acquire that Centre.

I think he's done fine at improving the team in small increments by nibbling at the edges... but he needs to make a big move, and the last big move is a questionable one long term. Again I think in the short term its one elite defenceman for another, but the new guy is older, so I don't like the trade.(Subban/Weber).

He's still got 8.46 million sitting there with a full roster. He needs a LHD and a C. Not impossible (assume in any trade that some money will leave).

-------------

Personally I'd sign Markov 1 year at 5 million. Give Stephane DaCosta a tryout deal, 1 year at 2 million. That leaves about 2.5 million for the deadline (he has 23 men on the roster at that 8.5 million in space, so two guys in, means two cheap contracts go to the AHL).

Look for Galchenyuk to hopefully take the reigns at Centre. If not, you'll be a playoff team, go for your centre at the deadline.
Weber is 32 in 3 weeks and he should be okay the next 3-4 years but is he a $7.8M number 1 D? Tough to say

I also thought Drouin was a left shot left wing which is why I think the Habs have a very strong left side (Drouin, Patches, Galchenyuk). Gallagher is alright but Ahaw is pretty mediocre so the right side is about as weak as Calgary. Now if Drouin is on the right side that changes things as I would say the Habs have 4 pretty solid guys on the wing

If Galchenyuk is a centre you lose one of those good wingers. By all intents and purposes there are not many people in the organization that believe Galchenyuk is a centre.

I think the Habs have moved onto the treadmill for the foreseeable. They are a good team that can fight for the playoffs but lack multiple centers to ever be a contender. With their number 1 D and goalie signed to massive deals that they will play out in their 30's it becomes even harder to win.

Personally if the Habs have that much cap space they should be the team that strongly considers an offer sheet for either a Draisaitl or Horvat. They could use a young top line C and lack the assets to acquire one via trade. If they could clear enough to give Draisaitl $9Mx7 I think it makes things tough on the Oilers to match.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
bax