View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think these big busts are usually the result of even bigger investigations throughout the world. Our guys were probably tipped off by Americans who were tipped off by Europeans or something. But where they find these videos is beyond me. Babies in diapers and people being killed? WTF.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. There's been a number of recent darknet type sites that have been taken down, but many of them before they were taken down were setup with code that would identify users. Normally that wouldn't be possible (or incredibly difficult) if someone is using TOR (which these sites were), but often people don't configure their TOR browsers correctly or run old versions with vulnerabilities, and law enforcement can put in stuff that ends up getting them the real IP despite the people using TOR.

Maybe they just look at the ISPs for the IPs they gather and forward the info to the law enforcement for the jurisdiction those ISPs are in.

Law enforcement running a site and allowing downloading of the material to gather information does feel kind of wrong... I get the benefit, but for every one person they get an IP for there's others who they don't and get their files anyway.

But that's how a lot of this stuff gets around nowadays, sites setup on TOR or Freenet.

EDIT: Wikipedia has interesting info on how to attack TOR, I hadn't seen some of these before. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: