View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the OP raises questions worth asking, and others have already made longer comments worth reading, so I'll just make a few quick notes here.

FORWARDS:
- Only forward we added this season is Versteeg, and that's such a sweetheart deal, you don't say 'no' to it just because you might have a prospect ready. It's also just 1 year.
- We didn't re-sign Chiasson, although I'm sure he could have been had for a reasonable price, and we bought out Bouma. All the other guys are must-signs or guys already under contracts. That's as many spots left on the roster as we can currently have.
- When Brouwer was signed we clearly needed someone on the RW. Same goes for Frolik. You usually have to give free agents some term to get them.
- We didn't lose Granlund, we traded him for another prospect.
- Baertchi kind of sucks, plus we wanted to get bigger anyway. Baertchi wasn't the player we needed.

GOAL:
- In goal, we have 1 guy inked for 2 years and the other for 1 year, so there's no one blocking our prospects on that front.

DEFENSE:
- Here I think there's a valid question of where are the opportunities supposed to come from. There's just 1 spot open for the next 3 years. Unless our defensive prospects are going to be a major disappointment, or we'll see a trade or a serious injury, there's a logjam coming before the end of those years.

SPOTS:
- Brouwer ended the season on the 4th line, and can be pushed down there again. Same could happen to someone else.
- It's far from obvious that the 1st line RW spot is taken.
- It wouldn't surprise me if Backlund-Frolik once again got a prospect on their line.
- There's always injuries.
- Stajans spot on the roster is far from guaranteed.

In other words, the lines are very far from set.

Last edited by Itse; 07-05-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: