View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #118
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've read some books on addiction, and I'm by no means an expert, but I've had some friends go through their own battles.

With a lot of families and "support Groups" they eventually give up on their goal of getting their family member or friend off of the drugs, and enable again in the hopes that they can lesson the harm that a person does to themselves.

A person's battle with addiction is a family and friends wide war and all sides come out scarred not matter what the result to the addict themselves.

There's this saying that a lot of people have that the addict has to hit "rock bottom" before they'll ask for help. But most people don't and can't watch a person suffer that much so they won't let them hit rock bottom, they'll literally cushion that fall no matter what the personal cost. Plus Rock Bottom pretty much equals dead.

Most times the best way to help a person is to make them see the personal and profound consequences of their addiction to themselves and others. But sometimes the "support group" won't take it that far because of the emotional cost.

I loved Carrier Fisher, she seemed like a wonderful, vibrant, smart tough woman, but I refuse to believe that her support system around her didn't see her fall. They were so linked with her through her battles that there was noway that they couldn't see the signs, and I wouldn't believe them if they said they were surprised about the autopsy reports.

I think she was profoundly let down by the people around her
, but at the end of the day, Carrie made the choice to surrender her fight.
Being the support system for somebody on a major years-long self-destructive downward slide is exhausting. Trying to help people is noble, but if it's clearly going to be futile on the eleventh time you've tried helping somebody you should walk away for your own sanity and for the people around you that are more deserving of your energy.

Fisher was a drugged-out mess for 40 years or something. This is on her 100% and not on her family and friends at all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: