View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 AM   #235
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I think the cream of the crop should rise to the top of the leaderboard of a US Open. I'm fine with regular tour tourneys having no-name winners but only the best should rise to compete in majors. It's what made pro golf popular afterall.

No offence to the players but a top 5 consisting of:

1) Brooks Koepka
2) Hideki Matsuyama
3) Brian Harman
4) Tommy Fleetwood
5) Xander Schauffele

Does nothing for me or likely the sport at all, in a month most people couldn't name the winner let alone any of the top 5. Outside of a boring but great player in Matsuyama did anyone cheer these players on?

When the biggest star in the hunt was Rickie Fowler you had to know this tourney was in big trouble.
How does a harder course help the best players rise to the top? It's golf, whoever plays best that weekend wins, no matter what the course. If the Open was played under more difficult conditions Keopka still wins, it's just with a -4 instead of a -16. For whatever reason the star players struggled this weekend, even under easy conditions, and they would have struggled even more on a tougher course.

If anything a harder US Open course hurts the better players and produces surprises as luck plays a much bigger role. Plenty of no names have won recently and plenty of stars have failed to win. Phil Mickelson for example has won the Masters, the major with the easiest conditions, three times yet has never won the US Open.