View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #974
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Andy has made 9 slam finals and won 3 of them, so I wouldn't lump him in with the one-slam wonders. if you mean that Milos might be able to sneak in a major the way Delpo and Cilic did, i.e. a single hot run where everything miraculously came together, then sure I guess. but a legit threat that's going to be in that position multiple times? I don't see it.

he might be able to wait for the Big 4 to age out and exploit a small window there, but guys like Zverev and Thiem are improving every week, and don't have the built-in deficiencies that Milos does. the guy just doesn't look that smooth or natural on court to me. given that, #3 in the world is an amazing accomplishment and I don't find myself wanting more out of him.
Keep in mind Andy was essentially one of those guys that just couldn't quite get there until 3-4 years ago as well. He has also been at it much longer than Milos and certainly has a few deficiencies in his game. His service and net play are very exploitable which is why he is not currently running away with the number one ranking while the rest of the field is somewhat floundering. He's arrived where he is solely on the back of hard work and maximizing all of his strengths (returning, ground strokes, determination). I see many similarities between his career arc and that of Raonic and that is the need to lose a few big matches before they figure it out. Milos certainly has limitations but nothing nearly as limiting to keep him from winning a slam.

One doesn't merely sneak in a major as you say either. Both Cilic and Del Potro won on the backs of playing excellent tennis for long stretches of time. They were never number one players but you don't need to be in order to win slams. Say what you want about the up and comers, they're all a dime a dozen until they prove they can hold a ranking for more than a few months at a time.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-09-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote