Thread: Golf!!!2!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #1011
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
To further the discussion on what you should do, reference this article.

http://golftips.golfweek.com/need-cu...lubs-1212.html

Getting fitted is useless if you can't hit the ball with any consistency. While a great marketing ploy, fitting is a waste of time and money unless you are a physical anomaly, being really tall, really short,having extra long arms etc. To someone with an inconsistent swing a one degree adjustment in any orientation is not going to make any difference. Same with a half inch longer club. Unless you have got your game dialed in and looking to make minuscule adjustments you're likely wasting your time and money. I equate this as to getting tailored clothes for a 10 year old. A waste of money.

Now, if you have that good swing down, and at looking to improve your game, get fittied. But make sure you do yourself the service of verifying that what you get sold is what you receive. I know of more than a few players that were told they were getting special orders but ended up with standard clubs. The only way to find out is to put them on a loft/lie machine and verify they were manufactured that way. When you do go down this road you are going to have to put your clubs on the machine and continually fine tune them back to your spec, as play will bend them out of spec and back to standard.

The bending process applies mostly to forged clubs, which are almost only blades these days. Most players are playing casted irons, which are very difficult to bent on a loft/lie machine. Casted iron is very difficult to bend as it wants to go back to the state it was originally cast to. Most club builders are not going to try and bend a casted product. A reputable club maker is not going to risk his well being and his equipment to try and bend a club that was not designed to bend. Cast irons are not designed to be bent and to do so requires more pressure than a bending machine can maintain. Something usually fails, and with a casted iron the failure is spectacular and results in shrapnel which can damage the machine and the operator. If you're thinking of bending a club make sure you're buying forged irons. Recognize that forged irons are also for advanced players and are no where near as forgiving or corrective as the casted clubs available.
Strongly disagree with this post.

1) fittings don't cost anything, so it's pretty easy to get your money's worth

2) getting fitted does not necessarily mean changing the lie or adding length. It also means finding the right shaft for your swing speed and many other factors

3) no matter how inconsistent you are (and we all are, more or less), there is a base swing speed and base pattern to your swing. Getting clubs that work best for your swing will substantially improve your game. So will becoming more consistent - but that's on you

The wife, who couldn't break 110-120 and was wildly inconsistent, got fitted for new clubs and instantly dropped to 95-105. The proper shaft and club style helped her get the ball in the air more consistently and hit it further. Those things gave her confidence and aided in her becoming more consistent.

Also, one of the reasons that people aren't consistent, and don't hit the center of the face very often, is that their clubs don't fit. I have a half inch extension in mine and they are 2 degrees upright. Before I got fitted, I rarely hit the center of the clubface. Now I do with significantly more consistency. Because the clubs fit me better.

There is no question that if you want to get better at this game, lessons are the way to go. And practice.

But suggesting a fitting wouldn't help is crazy.

By the way, added 10 yards to the driver this year by changing shafts under the guidance of my pro. Same swing + better club for my game = longer, straighter drives.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: