View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #119
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Andersson was traded for the #30 pick in 2016 and a second round pick in this year's draft. Last year the Flames had the #6, 35, 54, 56, 66, 96, 126, 166, 186 and all their 2017 draft picks at the time of the trade. I suspect that if they were in on a deal for Fredrik Andersson they were unwilling to move the #6 pick, and division-rival Anaheim was not as keen on their package (2016 #35 + 2017 2nd round pick?) as they were on Toronto's (2016 #30 + 2017 2nd round pick).

So, my point stands. The acquisition cost in this case was probably more than Treliving could afford to spend in a trade for Andersson.
Perhaps you're right about the acquisition cost for Andersen given he was on a divisional rival. Still there really aren't many options becoming available now that were not available earlier. We did give up assets for Elliott and now people want MAF? He'll likely cost more now than he did last summer plus the 2nd we gave up for a goalie that let us down in the playoffs.

I hope Treliving succeeds this time. My point is that in the time we have been trying to find a reliable number one, a number of other teams have pulled the trigger and found such goalies. Eventually being in the mix or trying moves that seem to make sense on paper but don't work is not good enough. Let's hope we get our man this time.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote