View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #249
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'd disagree because a car that parks itself doesn't suffer from the last mile problem like transit does. What incentive do I have to transfer from the self driving car I am sitting in to a train?

Also if you can cut following distances and eliminate reaction time and narrow lanes you at least double the road capacity with existing infrastructure. Maybe you have cost savings for the poor but your average downtown train goer takes the train because they either hate driving or don't want to pay for parking. Eliminate those things and train use drops. Unless you solve the last mile problem transit is doomed.
Well maybe you just end up with smaller scale mass transit.

Already in San Fransisco stuff like Uber Pool and Lyft Line are gaining a lot of popularity. If you are two people or less you hail a car that you may or may not end up sharing with other riders, and you save money either way.

Maybe you have a bunch of smaller automated vehicles delivering people door to door. If the average vehicle has even 4 passengers in it, that takes a pile of vehicles off the road.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote