View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #423
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
If true, this seems like a pretty awful tactic to use by the Flames.

I'm definitely not a negotiator, but I am certain that you are much better off extending a contract months ahead of its expiry than waiting until job vacancies open up around the league, providing your current GM with more options and increased leverage.

Either way, I certainly cannot get my head around the rationale for letting things play out like they have unless their is some serious friction behind the scenes.
It is actually not that difficult to imagine a few reasonable alternatives. I think the most plausible one is that ownership, Burke, and Treliving have all spoken in broad strokes about the framework for an extension, but have agreed that it can wait until after the 2016–17 season debrief.

The more I think about this, the more I am of the opinion that the length of time this is taking is actually a decent indication that Treliving will remain in Calgary. Think about it like this: If the Flames were even considering moving in another direction, it seems like they would be under some urgency to know whether or not Treliving is to be re-signed, and if not, then why would they drag this out and waste time on filling the vacancy? If Treliving were more concerned about his future in Calgary, why would he not have pressured them to extend him, or have resigned already to pursue other opportunities? If there was any actual concern from either party as to Treliving's future, I would think that Buffalo would have received permission to speak to him about their GM vacancy, or Treliving himself would have contacted them to express his own interest. Yet, none of these things is happening.

Both sides seem content to let this play out until later. For all intents and purposes if both sides are not in a hurry, then I think this is a good sign that this gets done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-28-2017 at 04:15 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: