View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #30
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am not saying this is a bad idea, but now the cost of the meds for the kids shifts from the parents to all the taxpayers of Ontario.

the government should have looked at model where catastrophic costs are covered.

I should also note, that the pricing of drugs in Canada is a hot mess as there are drugs that cost $20,000+ annually in Canada that cost a fraction of that ($2,000) in countries like india.

the drug is the same, the base cost should be similar.
1. Short term it is a burden of cost shift. HOWEVER, in reality it is a mandatory insurance program that covers every citizen. EVERYONE is/was once a under 25 person. Every will no longer be a 25 year old at one point. So in reality this program just shifts the paying for drugs from 0-25 years old to 26-infinity years old. The same amount of money is still spent, and no one really has a burden. (In a perfect world).

2. The issue is everyone who is currently>25 and doesn't have kids is now being forced to pay for a service they never got to use. Is it fair? Nope. However, you need to start somewhere. Maybe a tax break for the childless! Wouldn't that be a marvel idea! I would love to see the reaction to that even if it would be 'fair'

3. Whenever something is 'free' and run by the government, abuse will be rampant. Doctors will prescribe the most expensive prescription. Companies will jack up prices of prescriptions for children.

4. This will cause the government to create review boards and more price regulatory boards to ensure this doesn't happen, also paid for by the tax payer.

5. People will also abuse, and when not paying yourself you don't make hard/smart decisions. Why even consider if it is a drug I actually need, its free!

5. At the end of the day a few people who couldn't afford prescriptions and really need the help will get it, at an enormous marginal cost for everyone else.

Should the kid who needs a specific drug to stay alive that is very expensive be helped/subsidized? Absolutely

Does give free drugs to everyone under 25 solve this problem correctly? Not positive, but I doubt it!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post: