View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #29
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Absolutely it does. But that's looking at people as individuals and their specific circumstances, not their race. Will Smith's kids should not get special sentencing. This race consideration is so coarse and inelegant, it's borderline anti-progressive by some on the left's insistence to bring race into every aspect of life.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I think the way forward as a society is to talk less about race, not more. This game of historical greivances has to stop, the reason a hypothetical chinese guy robs a liquor store is because that is a choice he made, not because his great grandfather suffered horrible racism building the railroad. A lot of horrible stuff happened even in recent history and it shouldn't be forgotten, but I don't think it should be used as an excuse going indefinitely into the future.

Just my two cents but hey, I'm a white guy so whatevs.
Because it matters in the context of rehabilitation vs. incarceration. The idea is that if someone is committing crimes because of the hand they've been dealt in life, there's probably a greater chance they can be rehabilitated than if they're committing crimes because they're just ####ty people. I would actually like to see more components brought in for consideration, specifically income level (and not the affluenza variety).
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote