View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #264
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Almost every atheist I know is far from angry. They are happy, devoted and well educated people. Thats why they argue their point, because if not them who? Do you think if we left it to the various religions that we would even be allowed to exist?
I think atheism is derived from the church (insert any denomination you want here) holding their lives hostage for many years. This hostage taking is also due to the fact that their parents and grandparents indoctrinated them into those faiths without their knowledge and acceptance.
The fact that Priests rape, Imams cut the clitoris and issue fatwa's is secondary.
Granted, I'm the only atheist I really know (in the sense I assume you're speaking), but most of the ones I experience or observe seem to have a lot of latent anger and outward aggression. Not all, but an anecdotal majority.

There's nothing wrong with arguing a point. There is a mutually detrimental way of arguing, and that is what I would like to see avoided. I've observed it rather openly on both sides in this thread alone.

I didn't feel like a hostage, but I did feel a little betrayed having been introduced into Catholicism and having that kind of personally conflicting messaging surround me throughout by life. I don't necessarily accept that atheism is generally derived in that manner (however, it certainly can and is to a large degree). I think it just takes a broad secular rejection of religious scripture, practices, and/or policy.

For me, fear came first. It felt like loss, and it definitely felt like uncertainty. Feelings in my core to which I was not accustomed. I took cues from other atheists in how to cope and respond: Carlin, Hitchens, etc. Just very confrontational. Anger became my outlet and a way to deal with uncertainty.

As for atrocities, direct and indirect, I know they are secondary. Perhaps I didn't emphasize that quite enough in my post. In my case they were tangible examples to fuel my anger and opposition, not that confronting them was a bad thing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: