View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #798
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Please excuse me if this has been described somewhere on this thread...

But what exactly is GG's system? Is there an explanation of how it works - somewhere? I've been watching and all I see is what seems to be the outcome which is good all around hockey.

But would love to understand the technical aspects he's asked of the players.

Thanks
One big part I see is it uses the boards as a player. The transition from defense to offense is great, because wingers position themselves in a spot to get a pass either directly or from the boards to make a quick pass for a quite transition. No matter the situation, the player is always there ready as soon as puck possession is received

Great example below at 2:47. Watch Tkachuk, Backlund and Frolik's positioning. Backlund as the centre is the guy to get the puck after the D does their job,with both Frolik and Tkachuk available to get out of the zone. Although his first pass to Tkachuk via the board gets picked off, Frolik is in perfect position to intercept the pass inside, with a quick pass to Tkachuk for the transition out. Everything is kept to the outside, and anything going inside is picked off. It lead to a great 2 on 1 chance

Add to this a great cycle game (when was the last year you saw the Flames run a cycle game like the Canucks and Sedins?) and you have a great system. Boston was strong in their game, because they studied Gulutzan's system and always had a player in position to stop the short passes from happening. It's a system that can be countered much like any other one, but can be adapted.

Last edited by Firebot; 03-20-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post: