View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #17
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I will say that it appears that respect across the board is gone.

I find that refs are unwilling to even engage in a dialogue with a coach, and by dialogue I don't mean yelling, I don't mean the coaching standing on the bench and talking down to the ref.

I mean a discussion about the game or call. To my mind the ref's main job in minor hockey that is of player safety. I don't care if they miss an off side call, but if you have players being hit into the boards or icing being waived off because "they were in a foot race" there needs to be a discussion on why. These types of missed calls result in injuries or retaliations which an cause injuries.
I can respect what you are saying here and I do feel as though there needs to be more communication between players and coaches. The issue which I have been told by many younger officials is that it's hard to go over and talk to a lot of coaches because they feel as though they are being talked down to. It's less of a questions and answer and more of a, "here's what I saw and why you should have called it".

We try our best to get supervisors out to as many games as we can, but once again, those are volunteer hours which can be a struggle to get.

You are correct that we are there for the players safety. I 100% agree with that. The difference in something being a penalty or not can come down your perspective. What I see on the ice compared to what you see on the bench are often two completely different angles. That's where as an older official I have learned to talk to coaches to explain what I saw and how I can only call what I see and now what you see.

This is also why we are trying to have coaches learn that we will talk to them, but we are not going to do it directly after that play. When the blood is pumping it is better to let it simmer. I will explain things to your captain briefly and then if you still have questions I will talk to you in between periods. We have found that by giving people time to simmer, it has reduced conflicts between coaches and officials
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post: