View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #79
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am on board with either plan to be honest. CalgaryNext is a project that I think really takes the City to the next level. Developing an important yet unused piece of land will help widen the urban footprint of the city and open up a whole new district of downtown. The cost of the project and remediation work that is required make the project a challenging one.

Option B is appealing because the Stampede location is also great and it tackles the true biggest need which is a new events centre. I am fine with retaining McMahon as that is more enjoyable football watching experience (outdoors vs indoors). I don't really care about the field house either way.

I just want a deal to be made.
Would it though? We're finding out over time that there wasn't actually much to the plan at all, other than cool outside renderings. Who knows how it would have worked in reality, for all we know it may have looked like a giant ugly bubble structure from the late 80's when complete.

It was a cool concept, but I don't trust the team behind it have made it modern, cutting edge and practical. Which means it was a high risk, high reward project that could have easily turned into an embarrassment.

Cutting edge/game changing concepts in the building design world need to be carried out by the absolute best in the business to actually work out as intended, no disrespect intended, but I don't think that's what was behind this project.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: