View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #1071
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Jays are reporting profits even without their tv contract revenue. The biggest source of revenue for all major league teams are their tv contracts. It's the reason why the Arizona Diamondbacks can go all in on people like Greinke.

Rogers pushes all of their tv contract revenue out of the sports reporting entity. I think the amount of money they make would probably shock all of us if we actually knew the true amount The fact that they can't add an additional 10M to fix a problem in a go for it year is a joke. MLB and the MLBPA have both expressed concerns about the way the Jays report their baseball revenue, though we'll never get wind of it in the Canadian media. I listened to a pretty interesting segment on it on ESPN radio a couple of months ago.

This whole "spending like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers" argument is BS. No one is expecting them to spend like those teams, but most fans would suggest that being able to go above the budget by some amount in good years should not be an issue. The fact that the Jays have to wait until the trade deadline to address a glaring issue because they can't exceed budget by say 10M is a huge knock on the organization. I could understand if the team wasn't a contender, I don't understand it when they are.

When ESPN and agents are saying the Jays aren't serious in contending, it's not because they don't have a 210M payroll each year, it's because they are a big market team that is raking in the money that outright refuses to even stray from budget the one time every ten years they have a chance to win it all.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote