View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #218
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
everyone expected him to awaken his flickering connection with the force and move that switch remotely. but what he did instead, which was pure bravery and selflessness in the face of certain death, was a lot more meaningful in my mind. I don't want Jedi powers to become the deus ex that gets Star Wars characters out of a jam every time.

the worst practitioner of this was Qui Gon. he nonstop used mind tricks and telekinesis on the dice to swindle Watto, to the point where it was just ridiculous and he could have just taken Anakin, his mom, and the hyperdrive without going through some dumb podrace bet.
I always wondered about this but there were two things that prevented it. First of all Watto was immune to mind tricks and not stupid enough to gamble all three things. Second of all the slaves all had explosives planted in their body that for some reason Qui Gon couldn't find or remove, let alone both.

At the end of the day, Qui Gon wasn't a good jedi, they even pointed that out in the book, he was considered a renegade and pretty much against the Jedi Council, his reliance on using the living force was counter to what they were teaching.

In the end as big of a disaster as Obi was in training Anakin, My feeling is that Qui Gon would have been worse and not put up controls like Obi tried to do.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote