View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #204
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
That's completely upside down The plot of TFA is only a retread if you know the originals. So saying that it's just a retread is saying that it's a WORSE film if you've seen the originals. Which might very well be true, but that's the exact opposite of "not standing on it's own".

(Also, it's the basic hero's journey story, which is hardly unique to Star Wars.)

Plus I don't see how it relies on fan endearment at all to sell the old characters. Han Solo especially has a quite sizable role in the film that doesn't really have much to do with the previous films, and it's a role that's perfectly understandable and relatable without any prior context. Chewbacca is the sidekick as always, again nothing that needs prior knowledge to understand, and he's just as likable (or not, personally I've never really seen the fascination with the furball). I don't remember what the robots do much, but IIRC C3PO is pretty much the annoying sidekick and thankfully isn't in the film that much.

R2D2 is completely replaced with a different robot. Again, I don't see how that character lies on prior knowledge of the universe.
I really like both films but I really think you're jumping through hoops to defend TFA.

It is only a retread if you've seen the original? Well, of course. That would go for literally any remake/re-imagining/reboot for any franchise.

The entire Han/Chewie/Leia/C3PO dynamics in the film are only relevant if you know the originals. Otherwise all the connections seem vastly underdeveloped.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote