View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #2315
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I expect they'd first ask GG what he'd do with Iginla, and when GG says "I'm not going to play a guy like that on the top 2 lines" they wouldn't make the trade.

Wideman is way different. His contract was signed with the expectation he'd be a top defenceman. He wasn't signed to over $5.5 to sit, and he wasn't played that way either. You can say the same about Stajan - he was signed to play a higher role than he is playing now. But they'd never make a trade for a $3M 4th liner.

You sign a big name rental to make an impact. What exactly do you think Iginla's role would be? He's 13th on his team in scoring. 3 goals, 7 points in 27 games. The Flames have 11 players with more goals. No regular forward has less. In fact, all but Stajan have more. Of the forwards who've played only Hathaway, Hamilton and Bouma have fewer, but they've played just over half the games that Iginla has. Versteeg has 4 goals in 19 games (to Iginla's 3 in 27). Brouwer and Frolik have 6, plus play better defence. Chaisson has 5, plays better defence.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to put Iginla in the position of being a marginal player on the Flames. It's not like Lanny's situation after years with the same team, culminating with a cup.
You're completely wrong here. You are saying that you don't aquire Iginla to be a third/fourth line player because he used to be good and has a bad contract. You are assuming Iginla is a "Big Name" acquisition whereas if he is being acquired to play 12 minutes a night then that is a role player acquisition. You can argue he doesn't fit that role but to say that he doesn't fit because he has a big salary is false.

Cap Space unused has zero value at the end of the season.
Iggy coming back sells tickets so the real dollars out the door are actually positive.

So the only 3 questions worth asking are Does his acquisition prevent other acquisitions. Does the role he would play on the team make it worth the assets being given up and Is he better now than who he is replacing

This concept that he makes to much to be played somewhere is nonsensical.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
bax