View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #138
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Thanks for typing that out Hack&Lube. I guess I neglected to say why I want to upgrade things. The issue I thought I had fixed with the amp has returned - I randomly have one speaker that cuts in and out, will drop and increase in volume, and can sound scratchy at times (like a dirty pot would cause). Believe it or not I'm an audio engineer by trade - I just don't happen to have any experience with home theatre components, and my specialty doesn't really lend to much knowledge for setting up a good system.

I know the records I have can sound much better than they do currently and I want to bring that out. After I posted last night I started looking for rock speakers and found some by Klipsch that look amazing. They also are priced that way haha! I think that's where I'll start looking to find deals - with an amp to follow and a new turntable eventually. I guess my table is fine, I just know the reviews aren't the greatest for that particular model, so I want to make sure everything in the chain lends itself to reproducing a good sound.
The issue is likely that your current amp needs to be recapped. The electrolytic capacitors have probably dried out and failed with age and a few other components can be replaced. It should be pretty easy if you have a soldering iron as all tech of the era had great service manuals.

New speakers are probably a safer bet because old speaker cross-overs likely also need re-capping.

Vintage amps are almost always better than anything new or current however.

Are you sure the issue isn't in your turntable? One channel could be cutting out because of oxidized components on the tonearm or wiring down the chain. Have you replaced your stylus at all? What stylus are you even using? The Dual is a little more complex for replacing the stylus and getting it properly aligned via pro-tractor than another turntable where you can just swap head-shells. If a particular style of music is what you are after, it's really the stylus that affects that the most. A dirty, worn, or damaged stylus will also only reproduce one side.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-23-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: