View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #135
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hope it's ok for me to jump into this thread with a bunch of questions. Background first:

I decided I wanted to get into vinyl a couple of years ago and picked up some gear for the few records I had lying around in storage. I have a Dual 1212 turntable, Yamaha NS 240 RM speakers, a Technics SU-V303 amp, and a Sony TC-K96R cassette deck (used it once in two years). It all lives in an open concept area around 750 square feet.

There was some weirdness happening for a while where my right speaker was cutting in and out, dropping in volume, or just sounding plain crappy so I decided to take a look at the amp. I opened it up, used DeOxit on the pan and volume pots, and did a little basic cleaning. Seemed to have done the trick.

Recently, I noticed a small tear in one of the drivers of my speakers. I've continued to use it, and now it has grown almost 3 times in size.

Basically, I want to overhaul everything (except the cassette deck). Music in high rotation for me includes: Tom Petty, Built To Spill, The Beach Boys, CCR, Matt Good, Johnny Cash, Jack White, My Morning Jacket & Spoon. I have some jazz, punk & metal I listen to as well, but rock is my main go-to.

Wondering where you would start in trying to upgrade this system. I won't say money is no concern, but I'd like to build a system I'll be happy with for many years to come, and I really like the look of some of the vintage gear out there.

Speakers are up first for me I think - what are some good floor model and larger bookshelf models to look at for a rock-heavy diet? Then, would you upgrade the amp or turntable next? There's so much info out there on this stuff, it's hard to know where to start looking first...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote