View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #23
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is the condition system different in the States? I thought critical and stable were two different conditions that didn't go together, or am I thinking of something else.

In Canada I seem to recall there's critical, and serious, but stable condition with critical often being downgraded to stable.
From the Interwebs:

A wide range of terms are often used to describe a patient's condition in the United States. The American Hospital Association advises physicians to use the following one-word conditions in describing a patient's condition to those inquiring, including the media.

Undetermined
Patient awaiting physician and/or assessment.

Good
Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.

Fair
Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.

Serious
Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is seriously ill. Indicators are questionable.

Critical
Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.

Dead
Vital signs are persistently absent.

Other terms used include grave, extremely critical, critical but stable, serious but stable, guarded, satisfactory, and others.

A frequently cited condition is stable. Typically, stable is not a condition on its own; it is usually a qualifier applied to an aforementioned condition. It is commonly used to denote conditions where a patient has a favorable prognosis or stable vital signs. The American Hospital Association has advised doctors not to use the word "stable" either as a condition or in conjunction with another condition, especially one that is critical, because a critical condition inherently implies unpredictability and the instability of vital signs. Despite this, "critical but stable" conditions are frequently reported, likely because the word "critical" in mainstream usage is often used to denote a condition that is severe and immediately life-threatening.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post: