View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, an elite #1 centre is an elite two-way player. A guy who drives your offence but who you also wouldn't hesitate to match up against the other team's top line when you're trying to protect a lead. There aren't a whole lot of them in the league. Maybe 10 or so.

Do I think the Flames have one in Monahan or Bennett? Probably not. Guys like Bergeron and Kopitar did show great defensive potential early in their careers (just as Barkov has done). A drive to excel without the puck as much as with it. We haven't seen that from Monahan or Bennett yet, and in the case of Monahan I doubt we will. We still might with Bennett. I hope so.

Can a team be successful without one? Yes. Teams have made it the Cup without one (the Devils, the Rangers), and some teams have had regular season success without one (the Blues). You'll be swimming against the tide, though - just like a team without a stud #1 defenceman.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-04-2016 at 03:18 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote