View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who are the #1 C's in this league? (including players who were a #1C but are now old as well)

Getzlaf, Bergeron, Toews, Seguin, Spezza, Kopitar, Tavares, Giroux, Malkin, Crosby, Thornton, Stamkos, Henrik, Backstrom.

One of Monahan or Bennett (or an acquisition) needs to reach the level of at least one of these guys for the Flames to be a favorite. Typically, if you're to become an elite center in this league, you (and everyone else) knows it by the time you're 23.

Looking at them as a group, only Henrik Sedin, Claude Giroux, and Ryan Getzlaf weren't elite 1st line centres by the end of their draft+4 year.

Most of the other guys were superstars, save for Bergeron and Kopitar, but they had already led their team in scoring (once and twice respectively). Bergeron would not repeat his offensive production again while Kopitar stayed mostly constant since.

If Monahan doesn't raise his production into the 75 point range this season I really don't think he'll ever be able to be considered an elite #1C in this league. His defensive shortcomings won't make up for his (relative) lack of offensive production. There are exceptions obviously, but I don't think he'll be one. He might be able to mirror Getzlaf's development though, that'd probably be the best hope.

Bennett I think can still fall into the Claude Giroux mold. Smaller guy, but plays hard and earns his ice because he wants it more, not just because he's a better athlete. He has elite skill even though he hasn't shown it yet this year, but we all saw glimpses last season.

It is concerning to see that the supposed strengths of this team haven't been developing as expected. The defense was supposed to be super great, but nobody knows how to suppress chances against, and the center depth was supposed to be developing to greater and greater things.

Hopefully it's all just a blip (and I think it is, Monahan and Bennett are great players) and they can keep becoming better and better.