View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #249
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

May have been posted before, but I thought this was a nice, heartwarming story about the Oilers' new mascot.

Quote:
In a stroke of genius, the Oilers have produced a mascot that perfectly epitomizes both the Edmonton Oilers and its fans; a mascot with a face only a mother could love, representing a team only sadistic lunatics would continuously support. Hunter the Canadian Lynx is ugly and he knows it. He knows people will laugh at his ugliness but he still raises his paws in the air with a smile, posing on a hockey stick with every ounce of his surprisingly slim body. We Oilers fans will mock ourselves for the almost laughable ugliness year after year, but still cheer on the team with renewed optimism and relentless enthusiasm time after time, when we know everyone else is laughing at us, when experience has taught us we should really know better.

Beautifully ugly, endearingly terrifying, perfectly awkward-- Hunter the Canadian Lynx is an oxymoron that encapsulates the paradoxical experience of being an Edmonton Oilers fan. It's a kind of love others just don't understand, and that's what makes it special. When I see Hunter at an event or game, I will approach him and give him a hug while praying he does not eat my soul, bravely embracing this creature I have an irrational love for.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post: