Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #3801
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, no bell by either of them, though the gaser was loud enough to not need one. I rotated my bell to be under the bar, so it is always withing reach of my thumb. I'm a real dinger.

As for lights, the only time strobe is appropriate is if you are on a busy road. If you are on the 2 way cycle tracks or paths, PLEASE no strobe! Nothing says safety like being totally blinded moments before a head on pass... Ugh.

If you have one of those super high powered lights, try to cover it with your hand if a cyclist is coming towards you, and make sure it is aimed properly. Blinding lights on pathways are a pet peeve of mine. Personally, I use 2 of these:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-1...ED-Front-Light
One on my handle bars, and one strapped to my helmet. The silicone band fits nicely through a helmet vent. They are cheap but I think provide more than enough light, even riding through the park where there is no ambient light. Having a helmet mounted light is one of the best upgrades. I allows you to see where you are looking(not where your bike is pointed) and to aim it at inattentive drivers.