View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #537
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks, and I do remember that. My wife is a bit stubborn on this so I'm letting her run with it. Well, I'm doing the work....The plan was to seed, get it established then not water the lawn and hopefully the old stuff would die out. The flaw in that plan was that we didn't get Calgary's usual dry summer. Stupid rain. Anyway we will see how it goes. As you can see I do have one large section that shouldn't have any old grass to get in the way so we have a bit of an experiment running.
Your existing turf will not die out because of a lack of water. Residential lawns, regardless of the Kentucky/fescue mix percentage, is extremely drought tolerant. It could reach a state of dormancy, but that is really all that can be expected. Even dew from cool nights combined with warm temperatures during the day, can sustain home lawns to survive and grow.

I would recommend stripping the existing turf with a sod cutter, adding whatever soil you need and seed as directed. Fall is the ideal time.

Good luck with your project.