View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #2045
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
Sorry to say but I think it does matter what Edmonton, and the rest of the NHL is doing. Calgary will have essentially the oldest rink in the NHL, which is one indication of our need for a new rink.

Get pissy all you want, but I think Edmonton's rink has done, and will do a lot for their downtown. The West Village should eventually be remediated, and building an arena is one of the options that should be considered. I would highly doubt that that enough condos or office buildings could take up that entire area, so an arena there makes some sense.

But maybe you really like Jeeps and think the dealership and bus station should stay put.
Edmonton's rink has done, and will do, a lot for their downtown because their downtown needed a lot done for it in a near term time frame.

Our downtown does not need a lot done for it on the west side...yet. The demand is not there to do it well. It will be one day though and that's when the Jeep dealerships should be replaced. That's why the city is choosing to dedicate its resources towards filling out the East Village. It's good city planning. And that's what this project is above all else...a city planning project. It is not simply a sports arena.