View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #89
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please table your suggestion for how we determine an equal way assess players. If I'm using a measurement you "cannot believe", then please suggest yours.
Not directed at me, but I think this is my approach: compare the developed players based on how many years the coach has had since they started with the Flames. That is, Huska has had about 2 years as head coach. So compare the results of Huska today against Ward after having two years as head coach (end of the 2012-2013 season).

It might not be a huge impact in your analysis (I don't know before typing this up), but you're controlling the variables as best we can. In this case, this comparison would control how many years the prospects have had to break into the NHL...your comparison gives them 5 for Ward, 2 for Huska. This version gives 2 for Ward, 2 for Huska.

Side note: I actually like Ward. Would probably have been better as an NHL coach than an AHL coach as he does have his own system but it's tough to go from nowhere to the NHL in one jump. Not sure what to make of Huska yet (not enough seasons), but his players do seem ready to play NHL hockey when they come up. Stats are pretty ugly but stats aren't my biggest indicator.

Here are the players you listed as they were in 2012-2013:

Lance Bouma - Just broke into the NHL on the 4th line. Would start a full season right after.
Paul Byron - AHL
Roman Horak - NHL tweener.
T.J. Brodie - NHL on the 3rd pairing if memory serves.
Joni Ortio - All but forgotten. Played in Helsinki and a lot of us wrote him off due to his poor showing in the AHL before.
Sven Baertschi - Showed signs of brilliance but also seemed a little over his head at times.
Michael Ferland - Went from the AHL to ECHL to WHL. Credit to him for sticking it out and finding a home on the Blades.
Markus Granlund - Also in Helsinki.
Josh Jooris - Still in the NCAA.

If we talk about players who were showing up as NHL regulars in this time, we'd get:

Troy G Ward's NHL Regulars after 2 seasons
Lance Bouma - Calgary Flames 4th line.
T.J. Brodie - Calgary Flames 3rd pairing
Sven Baertschi - Promising tweener if you want to add him.

Ryan Huska's NHL Regulars after 2 seasons
(Nothing)

I think this is a better comparable. 3 players are better than nothing (and the power of looking into the future tells us Brodie is a home run) but this is all the information we wold have after 2 seasons of Ward as coach.

If we extend this to another season, giving Ward 3 years to Huska's 2, we get this set of NHL regulars:
Lance Bouma - 4th line on the Flames
Paul Byron - NHL tweener.
T.J. Brodie - I forget where we labelled him at the time. A lot of us did like him though.
Sven Baertschi - If we're being generous. Burke buried him during this season.

Last edited by kirant; 03-17-2016 at 12:03 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirant For This Useful Post: