View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Ferland brings a defensive and forechecking element to that line that's sorely needed. Pucks haven't been going in for him, but they'll start going in eventually because the chances are there and he's got the quick, hard shot to capitalize on the chances.

Not that anyone on CP seems to really care, but Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland is a 55 CF% line this season. So while the results aren't there, the process is evidently showing signs. I'm sure that's what Hartley sees too, a line that's controlling a lot of the play but not getting the bounces.
No no, we care. Seriously, I'm pretty sure that most people are interested in the info. I myself like to see trends with certain combinations on a team, like how well do Gaudreau and Monahan do with various right wingers. Who plays best with Backlund and Frolik. What defensive combinations seem to be the most effective, and so forth.

But there's a caveat. I will never replace traditional analysis with only the advanced stats. What the advanced stats do is help to paint a picture, and contribute to the analysis, but there is a serious limit to how much useful information they provide, and so it should never be used to replace other stats for performance, and observing the game situations so as to put the information into context.

As for Ferland, I do notice that as a line they control the play more in the offensive zone, but they don't produce as many goals with Ferland on that line despite the better advanced stats, otherwise you'd see Ferland with more than 12 points. So it shows that Ferland has some value on that line, but not necessarily where it counts. Plus, there needs to be massive amounts of data for any sort of correlational relationship to become valid. However, that's another whole discussion.

And just a word of advice, please don't play martyr just because people disagree with your opinions. It will only detract from your arguments rather than reinforce them.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: