View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #153
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
That's a very narrow way of describing the different rebuilds going on when there's a spectrum between the two choices. For example Buffalo would be a great recent example of scorched earth, and the Flames closer to the middle where top players were traded away but veterans used to tie the team over until the drafted prospects had more experience under their belt.

Right now Vancouver's on the fly attempt is merely attempting to accelerate and eliminate the in-between of waiting for prospects to be nhl regulars by trading off 2nd round picks in return for young incomplete projects. The margin for high end returns becomes much less.

There's definitely no right way to rebuild but you can certainly go about it in a poor way. Edmonton's scorching and salting the earth with poor culture, management and supporting cast is one. With Vancouver using middling 1st rounders and 2nds for last chance potentials aren't likely to give you career NHL players.
I never implied there was only 2 ways to rebuild; I don't what I said was narrow minded at all. One could argue that Chicago moving from Sharp and Saad as two core assets to Panarin and Amisimov was a form of rebuilding