View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #233
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure there is any real reason to be worried about Jankowski not signing.

30 teams in the league covet a player like him - a player with good size, great skating, and who can play a full 200ft game. That is an asset every team in the league tries to find.

Why would Jankowski pick the Flames - I mean, other than the Flames already having showed loyalty to him in drafting him and keeping in touch with him?

How about that the Flames are extremely desperate for size in the their top 6. That is a good opportunity for him - either now or in a few seasons.

How about that the Flames are loaded up with a good YOUNG core of players that seem pretty tight? Ask Doug Hamilton how nice that is, and what his reasons were for refusing to re-sign in Boston (better yet, send Hamilton with Conroy to get Jankowski signed).

How about that as a player entering the NHL, it is nice to be able to play with quality players that can help you achieve success (like the reasons for Shultz signing with the Oilers - though hardly worked out for him). Flames can tell Jankowski: "Listen, we need quality players with size to compliment guys like Gaudreau and Bennett".

Jankowski also has friends in the organization - Gillies and Gilmour at least (I think Hickey as well, as they attended some Flames functions together), as well as familiarity with other players as well.

Flames also have one really strong reason for Jankowski to sign. Bob Hartley. Why is this so important? One season removed from the Jack Adams - which is good, as I imagine most players want to go to an organization that is coached well. However, Bob Hartley has a pretty damn good track record with young kids entering the league, and he has made it no secret how much he values 200ft players - I can only imagine how much he would like Jankowski.

Flames are not going to guarantee him top 6 time, or specific linemates. All they have to to is point out all these reasons as to why Jankowski should sign with them, and I can't imagine there are too many other teams that can provide him with as many. Can he find a spot that has more? I bet he could. However, I don't think any prospect really enjoys the experience of gaining the notoriety of being a player that has refused to sign with their existing team. There is enough opportunity here on the Flames for Jankowski to feel he doesn't need to be another kid who has to move on in order to get a fair shot.

I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't sign. You never know what can happen, but I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't sign.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: