View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Friday Night Tykes

I picked up this series on Netflx over the weekend and its an amazing watch.

It follows the TYFA (Texas Youth Football Association) which is the ultra competitive level of kids football in Texas.

This show follows multiple teams and their coaches and parents through a season..

The first season focused on what they called the rookie league which is the 8 to 11 year olds, the second follows the 11 to I think 13 year olds.

There was some interesting fallout from the first season as two coaches were suspended after one of them had his kids dropping 5 bombs during team chants. The other was far more series as the coach was telling his kids to ear hole and hurt other kids.

The second season is more focused on the head injuries aspect of youth football, including one single mother who's devastated as one child suffered a devestating concussion that's lead to seizures and the other brother had a fairly severe hit that ended up sending him to the hospital.

When I watch the coaches, theres some good and bad, but there's a lot of personality and conflict and you see a old school approach to the game where practices are all full speed full contact, and they can't seem to get the heads up message taught.

Its an odd mix where no one looks especially like a consistently good coach. I have to wonder how the certification in Texas is compared to up here where its very tough.

Anyways, I think its a really great watch and a cautionary tale for anyone that coaches competitive youth sports.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-04-2016 at 08:36 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote