View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #292
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Not sure if this belongs here or the Home Improvement thread but it is technically outdoors..

We haven't paved our driveway yet and probably won't until late next summer or possibly the following spring (2017) depending how the landscaping goes. We have crushed gravel laid down right now all along the front (driveway, walk way, in front of the steps) as well as a path leading to our side (tenants) door. I am trying to figure out the best solution to help keep tracking of dirt and mud down for the tenant, over the winter it isn't as big of a deal with the snow and the gravel being frozen/packed down, but in the spring it will be a mess.

I've looked at the regular concrete slabs, carpet runners all that, just curious what others have used as a temporary multi season fix. I don't want to break the bank as it will all be coming up for pavement, but considering that it is at least 1 spring and possibly 2, I think it would be worth at least a few hundred dollars to do it right.
I think the quick fix is just more gravel. That's what we do. Eventually I'll throw down masonry sand on top and put in a nice sandstone walkway for the non-driving parts close to the house.

To do a proper driveway that is not paved, I think you start with large rocks (3-4 inch) and dirt and pack that really well then smaller crush on top and then finally gravel. Just straight gravel will float around too much. But google it, this is just me shooting from the hip.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post: