View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #285
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
######ing Deer! We planted 6 Norway Spruce trees this past summer, and I've noticed that about half of the trees have a bunch of the branches all stripped off in the middle of the trunk. I did some researching and it sounds like it's caused by the deer rubbing their antlers on the branches.

I've called some garden centers, and they recommended buying some Plantskydd, a blood based repellent that will keep the deer away from the trees, since they will smell the blood and think that there is a predator nearby.

My question is, will the branches grow back? It looks like complete crap right now with bare trunk in the middle of the tree. If not, I'm hoping this will be covered under Sunnyside's 1 year warranty.

Stupid ass deer.
7 foot fence around your property is the best defence. The plantskyd works but you should reapply after a big rain. Also it won't work if they are,really hungry. No, the branches won't grow back. It really sucks when they bite the top branch, it slows the growth down until another branch takes over as a new leader. They can kill a tree if they chew enough bark off around any part of the trunk.

Chicken wire around the bottom works pretty good too. Wrap it around higher than where they bite too.

I'd bet they are eating them not rubbing antlers. At any rate, do something quick before they get the rest.

I hate deer. Wish the province would let us waste them like they do with coyotes.

Last edited by blueski; 11-28-2015 at 10:39 PM.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
V