View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #90
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hiller over Ortio is nonsense, and I try to not criticize lineup moves too much since I don't know WTF I'm talking about most nights.

However, Ortio is not some 21 year old noob that needs to be protected. He was the best goalie on the team last year, but he 'needed to play' and the big club needed some stability.

Ortio is 24 years old. He was the best goalie in pre-season. The only way the Flames were beating the Ducks in the playoffs is if Ortio came out of the press box and did something remarkable. Hell, if Ortio doesn't injure his knee he might have been our round 1 starter.

Stop ####ing around and play your best goalie.

Break down the goals against the Isles.

1. Deryk Engelland vacates the front of the net on the PK and Grabovski has nobody within ten feet of him when he gets the puck.
2. Nielsen's shot flat out handcuffs Ortio - maybe it was deflected, but that's one I'd say should be stopped. Didn't look easy.
3. Bad defensive zone coverage from Jooris. Again, not an easy save. Ortio has to stop at least one of these.
4. Sure, let's just leave Kyle Okposo alone in the slot for three seconds. No chance.

3 of 4 goals are the result of blown assignments and free offensive looks from within 15 feet of the net. When they weren't abandoning Ortio to his fate, we got to watch the most solid, composed goaltending performance of the entire season.

Maybe all he's doing is watching the throne for Gillies, but it would do wonders for team confidence to play more games in front of a guy who just might be good enough instead of a guy they know is not.
Ortio lost so it's Hiller's turn.

If Hiller loses, we will all expect Ortio to get the next one. If that's the strategy, it has to work both ways.

Also, you can argue that none of the goals were Ortio's fault. But the bottom line is that he didn't get it done. So time for a switch.

If Hiller loses but gets the next start anyway, THEN you'll have a valid argument.