View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

After the best season of Jays baseball in a very very long time it's an exciting off-season ahead for the Jays.

Having Shapiro in the front office brings some more legitimacy to the Jays front-office and was a move that I liked from the beginning. For anyone who wants to learn a bit more about Shapiro here's a good piece from bluebirdbanter.com:

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/8...t-mark-shapiro

Off-season priorities:

1) Alex Anthopoulos situation: I think re-signing AA is a no-brainer for Shapiro and it will likely happen as soon as it can possibly be done, which is Nov. 1 I think? AA brought playoff baseball to Toronto for the first time in 22 years. I know I probably whine about the Dickey trade too much but AA has made some absolutely awesome trades. The best being Lawrie for Donaldson, Lind for Estrada, the Troy Tulowitzki trade. His signing of Melky Cabrera was one of his better free-agent moves.

Caveat: My only issue with AA being re-signed is that AA and Gibbons are basically a package deal. I am still not, and frankly haven't ever been sold on Gibbons.

2) The pitching situation: The most glaring issue for the Jays is both starting pitching and having reliable arms in the bullpen. The Jays are certainly going to pick-up Dickey's option. It's doubtful the Jays have a player that is more of a lightning rod than R.A. Dickey. Price is not likely to come back which sucks but I don't think the Jays will be able to compete with the Dodgers/Yankees/Red-Sox of the MLB. Estrada will get re-signed. Hopefully Estrada can pitch to Russell Martin because Navarro won't be back. Then likely a trade of either Encarnacion or Bautista. I think Edwin gets traded for a good pitcher. Wishful thinking side of me is hoping Jeff Samardzija is signed as a free-agent. So that gives us Stroman-Pitcher acquired via EE trade- Samardzija- Estrada - Dickey.

The bullpen will have Loup, Osuna, Cecil, Hutchison, Sanchez, Schultz, Tepera, Jenkins and a host of others and needs a lot of work.

3)LF/RF/1B: This is where things get interesting. The Jays hold onto Collabello, the production he brings with his price-tag is a no-brainer. I like the idea of signing Chris Davis, he's a left handed bat on a team needing more lefties plus he can play first base. Smoak is gone IMO. Keep Revere in LF, put Joey Bats in as DH, and put Saunders in RF.

4)Backup Catcher: Navarro re-signing is unlikely given his displeasure of being replaced by Russell Martin. John Jaso, despite his horrific dreadlocks, can play catcher and is a good hitter and could be had a decent price tag AND he's a left handed bat. He's on my wish-list.

That's my list! Go JAYS!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote