View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #199
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Would it be silly to considering complimenting my degree with some graphic design/art training? A year or two long program seems enticing to me and why not do it while I'm still young. Any recommendations for these kind of programs in western Canada?
It's never a bad idea to better yourself with more skills, but honestly, if you're not going to get the full degree (ie. go through something like the 4 year VC Degree at ACAD), I'm not sure it's worth the effort to try to pass yourself off as a Graphic Designer. Typically, the primary thing you're going to learn in one of those quicky certificate programs is how to use the software, but you're not going to learn enough of proper design fundamentals and the thinking/process that goes into good design. Software will always change, but design fundamentals will always be what's important...and unfortunately it's hard enough learn them in 4 years, never mind 1 or 2.

Ive had plenty of friends try to take that shortcut to a design career, and it rarely works (and if it does, its because they are crazy talented and self-driven). Most agencies or studios don't even bother interviewing anyone on the Design side who doesn't have a 4 year degree. There are many qualified individuals out there to pick from to have to do that. A quickly diploma will get you a shot at production work, but it will be a lot harder to move up because chances are you will be missing a lot of the foundational knowledge.

I would think though you could still get a gig in a Media or Ad agency with your current Communications degree. A lot of people in the Media/Ad world are just really good creative thinkers in a non-visual way. Strategy is also very important these days. Also, a good project manager who can liaise between clients and creatives is worth their weight in gold!

Last edited by Table 5; 08-22-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: