View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #175
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
This route always interested me. I remember hearing back in school that the army was always looking for people with supply chain training. I don't know if that's true or not but it did stick out to me as possibly cool, challenging route to take. Even if they pay is probably not that great.
I joined under the Direct Entry Officer (DEO) program - meaning you had to have a degree or a 3-year college diploma. I had the Aeronautical Engineering diploma from SAIT and that qualified me for DEO.

As for supply chain management, you wouldn't necessarily have to have that training before you applied. If you wanted to be an officer, you would still need the degree, though. The military will offer you the supply chain management training in a few military occupations (supply and transport, for example).

The military will also pay to get you applicable civilian certifications/designations.

The pay is decent and you start with four weeks of leave. There are not many entry-level civ jobs that will give you four weeks of leave and coverage for dental, prescriptions and the optometrist.

My only regret with the military was leaving after 10.5 years; I should have stayed and I could be considering retirement right now.