View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #169
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is interesting to read the different career paths for many on these boards.

As for me, I am in the Army - specifically the Corps of Electrical and mechanical Engineers. My educational background is in Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautical Engineering. Neither of these fields were ideal in 1987 Calgary so I looked at the military. In DND's infinite wisdom, they felt I was a better fit in the Army than the Air Force, even though I had an Aeronautical Engineering background.

I've had many challenging employment opportunities in the Army and have made many friends. I left in 1999, with thoughts of becoming a stock broker. I quickly found out that I preferred the analysis of stocks and commodities than trying to find clients to sell them to. I then looked to use my education in a manufacturing capacity here in Calgary and landed a job as a "project manager" (basically preparing proposals). It paid shyte and the benfits weren't near what I came to expect in the military. That lasted until 2003 when I was laid off. That truly sucked.

I tried my hand at an electrician apprentice. The theory and math was a piece of cake, but the mentorship in the actual application was horrendous. I didn't receive any instruction and when I fecked up, I was yelled at. Again, not what I came to expect from my years in the Army.

I went from company to company for a couple of years but the bottom line was I missed the Army. I rejoined in 2005. I bought back my pension and now am just working to get to the 25-year mark and take my pension. At that point, I think I'll do some freelance technical or copywriting on a beach in Nicaragua.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: